United Tribes Technical College (UTTC) was awarded a teacher training grant entitled the Project SAGE by the Office of Special Education Programs. The purpose of this project is to increase the number of highly qualified American Indian teachers certified in Elementary Education and Special Education.
Upon completion of the program, the project participants referred to as scholars, will be eligible for North Dakota teacher licensure in Elementary Education with coursework for an endorsement in Special Education.
Twenty (20) full-time scholars will be selected to begin coursework fall 2015 for the bachelor degree program of study. Potential candidates must have a complete application packet before they will be considered for selection (the components of the application packet are detailed in this information).
The final selection criteria for the project will be completed by select UTTC faculty and the project director. Preference for selection will be given to applicants who have already completed a two-year degree or a considerable number of credits within the past five years. Applicants must be enrolled in a federally recognized American Indian tribe or be able to prove descendancy.
Project SAGE allows for student financial support of at least $3,000 per semester and considerable professional development opportunities. Participants are encouraged to seek financial aid funding sources early. In order to continue participation in the project, participants must maintain a minimum 2.75 GPA, as well as fulfill other project requirements.
Project Sage Application Requirements
The following information is required to be considered for acceptance into Project Sage and can be found in the Student Application Packet. Applicants with an associates level degree or significant coursework equivalent will be given priority.
- Completed Personal Information Sheet
- Letter of Application — A sample letter is included in the application packet.
- Philosophy of Education Essay (Criteria is found in the application packet).
- Three (3) Completed Recommendation Forms
- Notarized and signed Criminal History Consent Form
- Application for Admission to UTTC, if not already a current student — to apply go to www.uttc.edu. (Letter of acceptance from UTTC will be required if applicant is selected for program.)
- Unofficial copies of your transcripts verifying you have an A.A. or A.A.S. degree, or significant coursework. (After acceptance into the program, you will be required to provide an official copy of your transcript to the UTTC Registrar.)
- Completion of one Praxis Core Assessment test. Register and take one of the three Praxis Core Assessments (writing, reading, mathematics). Teacher candidate must meet minimum cut scores established by the ND Education Standards & Practices Board, For more information and assistance scheduling, see Brenda Rhone, email@example.com, (701) 255-3285 ext. 1788.
Each application will be carefully reviewed within two weeks of the application deadline. References will be verified. After receiving your application, and verifying references, you will be contacted for an interview. Notification of acceptance will be provided to applicants after all documents have been reviewed and interviews have been completed.
Apply to Project Sage
To apply for the Project Sage program at United Tribes, download and complete the Student Application Packet.
Send completed applications to:
United Tribes Technical College
Attn: Jenifer Heid/Skill Center
3315 University Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504